There’s a lot of options for people in debt – none are good, and there’s a lot of shady companies in the space. They’ll tell you what you want to hear, and only tell you the benefits instead of laying out the downsides (i.e. it goes on your credit score).
To help you pick the best debt relief or settlement company we’re listing the ones that have been in business for 5+ years, have good standing on the BBB, and have good customer ratings online.
We’ll update our list every couple months.
#1. Curadebt Review
Summary: Best savings, quick and easy to get started, reputable debt counselors, good online reputation, and average savings of 20-30%.
The #1 best debt relief company goes to Curadebt. As a specialized debt relief company it specializes in helping people with unsecured debts over $10,000.
When you choose Curadebt as your debt relief company, their experienced team will go to work to stop creditor calls immediately. Beyond that they will go to work for you to renegotiate your debts.
With a large team of debt counselors, and large client base, Curadebt has some of the best customer reviews online. They have 50+ experienced debt counselors who help negotiate with lenders to help save their clients money.
Along with debt negotiations, Curadebt also provides debt consolidation plans, consumer credit counseling, and debt management plans.
- American Fair Credit Council (AFCC)
- International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators
- Listed on CustomerLobby.com
- San Diego Chamber of Commerce
- HonestE Online Verified Member
- NetCheck Membership
Services Offered by Curadebt: Debt Settlement, Debt Negotiation, Consumer Credit Counseling, Business Debt Counseling
Freedom Debt Relief is perhaps the best known debt consolidation company in the US. They specialize in an innovative “Debt Resolution Program” referred to as a Fresh Start Debt Relief Program – it’s considered an aggressive debt consolidation approach to resolving personal debt.
The debt program’s goal is to find the optimal debt relief solution to lower your debts, help you deal with creditors, and put you back on track with your financial goals.
Freedom Debt Relief works closely with you to evaluate different options. Their standard debt program is 36-months, but may vary depending on your level of debt.
Freedom Debt has a ton of consumer reviews online with many clients carrying well over $10,000 in credit card or tax debt. One of the downsides is that you need to show proof of income and be able to afford at least $200 per month.
What to Look for in the Best Debt Relief Companies.
When it comes to choosing a debt relief company that you work with to get the best debt relief possible, there are a few simple factors that will ensure you get just that. None of these are complicated, but all of them are important to ensuring you get the help you need.
Here’s what the best debt relief companies offer:
- Experience – The first thing you should look for is an experienced debt relief company. A company that opened 6 months ago is much less likely to have an experienced team of debt counsellors than the company that’s been in business for 5 years or more.
- Debt Industry Associations – A good debt company should be a good-standing member of more than one industry association. Some memberships you may look for include the TASC, SCORE, USOBA, as well as local memberships such as Chamber of Commerce memberships. A company that is a member of more than one of these types of associations shows that they are serious about their business. More than that, membership in an association like the TASC, shows that the company meets a stringent set of guidelines in all their dealings with clients.
- Affordable – Next we need to talk about fees. All debt relief companies charge fees, but they way they charge those fees matters. The best debt relief companies will base their fees off of what they can save you rather than charging large fees upfront.
- Open & Honest – When looking at the companies website, you should look for past testimonials from other clients. For example if you visit Curadebts home page (#1 from our debt relief reviews), they link directly to their RatePoint file which includes testimonials from many past clients.
- Courteous and Professional – Always get a free consultation from a debt company before deciding to use their services. This will help you gauge their professionalism, and can also help you to get a better feel for what the debt relief company can do for you (it makes it easy to answer 1 -4 ).
- Past Results – Finally you should look for past results. With some companies the testimonials from previous clients will be enough, but many companies also post past results (such as debt settlement letters) right on their site. Those that do, show that they have worked hard to help other people just like you.
By simply taking the time to look for these elements when you are choosing a debt relief company, you will ensure you get the best debt relief available.
If you would like to check out the best debt relief companies that meet the above criteria, and have some of the above work done for you, you can also visit our best debt relief reviews page.